Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Take It From Broda

Barney Stinson has had some ridiculous rules and theories in the last eight years.

He's frequently quoted as saying "I have one rule:" but that rule can be any of forty different things.

There are, of course, the Lemon Law, Freeway Exit Theory, Bro Code, and Hot-Crazy scale to abide by.

Very little of the advice he gives is female friendly.  My feminist feathers are quite ruffled.



There is one thing he does have totally correct:

"When I get sad I stop being sad and be awesome instead."

Rather, when you get sad, stop being sad and remind yourself how awesome you already are.

When you get rejected or doubt your own worth, remind yourself of your accomplishments.  When no one takes the time to notice your good hair day or that your hours at the gym paid off, enjoy those victories with yourself.  When the haterz hate, remind yourself you’re totally the coolest.  

It works for me.  When anyone from a jealous "friend" to an unsavory sleazoid tries to bring me down, I remind myself that I’m awesome, and it’s someone else’s loss not to see that.


I AM AWESOME BECAUSE
     ...when I play upright bass, you see all my manly arm muscles flex and it's SO INTENSE.

     ...nobody does a better Bellatrix than I do.

     ...my taste in music is eclectic: everything from Tchaikovsky to T-Swizzle to Tarot.

     ...I'm a feminist and I'm happy to accept whatever reputation you think comes with that.

     ...I had my jaw broken and I feel stronger for it (despite not feeling half of my bottom lip).

     ...I used to hate running and couldn't run a mile.  Now I can run four and feel good.  My work ethic will get my anywhere.

    ...I'm hilarious.  I'd follow me on Twitter in a hot second.


The rest of the world can be harsh on you, so YOU shouldn’t be.  Try it, or allow me to try it for you.

YOU, SIR OR MA'AM, ARE AWESOME BECAUSE
    ...you use your taste in weirdo indie music to build the perfect playlists.

     ...your hair is shiny.  SO shiny.

     ...you’re an excellent singer.  Or you’re not, but that doesn’t stop you.  

     ...you’re a sciencey drunk.  Other people are dancing and falling and crying and you’re explaining the Big Bang Theory.  

     ...you're honest. You won't force a laugh when it isn't funny.  You tell it like it is.

    ...your facial hair is on point.  No one rocks sexy scruff quite like you.

     ...you have a FEARSOME jump split. 

     ...you're not shy about your fandoms. You're a Doctor Who/Pretty Little Liars/Game of Thrones/Arrested Development/Harry Potter/Pokemon fan and PROUD OF IT.

     ...you're attentive to detail.  It makes me feel good that you pay attention to what I say.

     ...your snaps crack me up.  

     ...you’re a Buddhist or a pro-choice activist or an environmentalist or a Democrat.  You care about something and you’re acting on it with conviction.

     ...you have GREAT eyebrows.  Seriously.  Daaaaaaang gurrrrrrrl.

     ...you’ve never turned me away when I needed you.

     ...your celebrity crush is Nikola Tesla.

     ...you have impeccable taste in writing.  That's obvious, since you clicked this link.


From me to you today, tomorrow, or any time you're feeling down: 

You, dear reader, are awesome.

Know that for yourself.  Remind yourself.  You deserve to feel good.

Hey, guess what?  I don't even remember why I was feeling down.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Let the bashing of my personal musings begin!