Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Classy things like Poetry and Popcorn

Happy Valentine's Day, all!  I'm a bit belated, but I mean it so sincerely that it's alright.  

Today was relatively peppy enough, I suppose.  I believe holidays can never have enough pep in them though, so that's a biased comment.  

We just got back from seeing The Vow.  "We" being Shannon, Lauren, Lauren, Laura (thanks to me), Sarah, Meredith, myself, and a large popcorn doused in butter.  Meredith and I enjoyed the popcorn immensely, but we collectively feel ambiguously about the movie. Shannon was particularly moved, though.  It was such a weird mix of happy and sad and unresolved but realistic.  Whatever.  I'm over it.  

There have been numerous quotable moments lately.  

I was talking to Meredith and Lauren after getting home from work on Saturday.  The recurring quote of the conversation: "It started in an elevator, it could only get so good."

Two days ago Alaric and I got to discussing classic works of literature and their authors, initiated by the play Green Grow the Lilacs, which Andy and I had to have read by today (It's basically the work from whence Oklahoma came).  I mentioned that Huck Finn is a fantastic book despite being written in nine Southern dialects.  Since this was on Charles Dickens' would-be 200th birthday, Alaric said "Samuel Clemens is a bro, just not quite as much as Charles DickFIST was."  Me: "Where does F. Scott Fitzgerald fit into this hierarchy?"  Alaric: "He's ACE TIER."

Many (most) of you won't get it, but it was a fantastic line and reference.  He actually successfully sautéed the entire world with those three words.  Even if he did have to make a tally on his arm for using a contraction.  

Today at lunch as Andy, Alaric, and I stalked past crushes: 
Alaric: "Permission to call all your ex-crushes bitches?"

Today while seeing The Vow:
Meredith: "Sabrina, if you make love in a car, wear your seat belt."
Always looking out for me.  I'm so lucky and loved <3



I've been in a poetry mood all day.  I usually don't have the patience for it, but I do rather love e.e. cummings' work.  I shall now treat you all to some of my favorite lines of his, in the spirit of celebrating life and love on Saint Valentine's Day:
you open always petal by petal myself as Spring opens her first rose
exists no miracle mightier than this:to feel
look up: and we’ll dance, i and you; high above anybody and fate and even Our whisper it Selves but don’t look down and tomorrow and yesterday and everything except love

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let the bashing of my personal musings begin!