Wednesday, December 21, 2011

"The Time Has Come!" the Walrus said.

Today was honestly wonderful.  Playing piano, seeing friends, having your mother cook delicious Italian style pasta, getting Starbucks, and watching Doctor Who; it literally does not get any better than today.


My one and only complaint would be the two vaccines I needed this morning.  Yech.




Rebecca and I had a wonderfully long lunch today.  It is not New York until you've gone for pizza.  Now I'm officially home.  One thing it made me realize though was exactly how much has changed since we graduated.  I obviously knew when Graduation came that life, my friendships, and my goals would undergo major revamping in the months to come, but I underestimated how permanent those changes would be.  What I truly resent is the limited time I have to see my friends when we're home.  Columbus Day, Thanksgiving, and now--it's "When can I see you?" with everyone.  If you're lucky, you can see some people multiple times, for a good few hours each time.  The messiness of that sunk in with me today:  It will always be about forcing these people to fit into spare room in our lives.  We're too busy spreading out all over the country to study, and then later trying to find work.  From now on, none of us will ever be free to hang out whenever and wherever with whomever we want.  I never really considered that before.  I was so fixated on dealing with missing each other when we're apart that I never considered the time constraints associated with seeing each other.    The same goes for the friends we've made at school--away from college, we're from all over the country!  We're from New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, California, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.  As soon as school's out for a break, it's impossible for us to all see each other.  


That was a rather disheartening conclusion.  Additionally though, I did get to considering just how long ago Graduation seems.  Prom?  Concerts?  Senior Trips (or whatever you want to call what Nolan managed)?  It all seems like more than a few months ago.  I don't mean it seems like a longer time ago--I mean it feels like a deeper measure of time ago.  It's almost as though those days were several people ago.  A bunch of versions of me ago.  This, I can't categorize as good or bad.  It's just a fact.  




I saw Mr. Nolan today also. Nolan in a nutshell:
Mr. Nolan: The single greatest teacher I've ever had.  He is responsible for keeping me sane through high school and pushing me to work harder in English than I even knew an English class could make you .  He can make any classroom discussion relate to his lesson plan.  He helped me with my college essay, college apps, and wrote my letter of rec.  He's strongly opinionated, but also always right, so it works, somehow.  He's definitely the teacher I miss most.  


My sister has not had the joy of having Mr. Nolan yet.  When we were chatting in his room today, he gave her his signature "GPAs don't matter and you need to appreciate the important things in life" speech.  It was so weird seeing him give that speech to someone besides me.  Between when I met Mr. Nolan in tenth grade and Graduation, I needed a ridiculous amount of those talks.  Apparently the time has come for Deels to need them to.  Godspeed, Mr. Nolan.   She's even more neurotic than I was.




We had spaghetti with red clam sauce for dinner. HEAVEN IN A BOWL.




After dinner I met some of the girls for Starbucks and to catch up.  Those girls make up half of the Amazing Eight.  I shall explain the Amazing Eight tomorrow because that will require effort and brainpower, neither of which I have the energy for at the moment.  




Oh, and I just watched "The Impossible Planet" and "The Satan Pit" Doctor Who episodes.  No clue what the hell just happened, but I'm pretty sure it was a genius plot line.


"GET HAPPY."  Rebecca's idea of an appropriate treatment for the clinically depressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let the bashing of my personal musings begin!