Saturday, December 17, 2011

“I said you LOOKED like an egg, Sir. And some eggs are very pretty, you know.”

Rebecca wanted to know if the new hair color made her look smarter.  I had to contain my laughter.  But really, it kind of does, somehow.  When you read this, dear, I'm not saying you look like an egg.  I'm just saying your hair and eggs are both pretty.




Oh, it's so good to be home.  I've always gone to see all of Deels's recitals, life-permitting.  I upheld the tradition by watching both of her Father Charles/Laurie Mangano orphanage fundraiser shows.  She had already been at Cure of Ars for hours by the time I got home, so I didn't get to see her until after her show.  She was, of course, as stunning as usual.  I'm serious.  Her eyelashes are insanely long.  She's the most beautiful and graceful little (literally, tiny) ballerina that ever was.  She and the other June Claire Dancers were fantastic on both nights.  Overcoming knocked-over poinsettias and awkward entrances all over the place.  The best part was the bear-hug I smothered her with afterwards.  I miss her an insane amount.




I never realized how good bra shopping makes you feel.  Even though no one sees it, it just boosts your confidence to be wearing a pretty bra.




Despite the fact that I know one of my followers (MICHAEL) has developed some weird aversion to musicals, I feel the need to mention how brilliant some really are.  They are the emotional value of a story plus that of music.  Only sometimes, it's less like addition and more like multiplication inexplicably leading to exponential growth in value.  (Math majors, that may involve imaginary numbers.  Don't stress about it.)  I found the most wonderful version of RENT, theater version, online last night.  I hadn't watched the movie in years or seen the play since the time I saw it on Broadway in high school.  The characterization and music and storyline are al so poignant and tragic and meaningful.  It's heavenly.  
Moo with me.




Being in Boston made it difficult to get into the Christmas spirit, outside of my room anyway.  Here, sprawling suburbia is decked out in all kinds of lights and inflatables and signs and garlands and figurines imaginable.  Boston, I love you, but get on our level.




My grandma and grandpa, Nonni and Nonno, both have this weird disorder where they force me to take money every time I see them.  When I refuse, they say "Someday, we won't be around to give you money, so take it while you can!"  It is a morbid disorder to be afflicted with.  




Hanging out at Jacqui's after Deels's second show with Andrea, Meghan, Alissa, Rebecca, and Jacqui was wonderful.  Props to Rebecca for the most excellent hug I've had in a while.  I dare everyone else to try and top that.  Apparently I missed story time though and have to wait for the picture slide show to hear about Alissa's time in Australia.  (Welcome home and I can't wait to see you around Northeastern!)  It was heartwarming to be together again.




Tremont Street raiders, brace yourselves.  Jacqui and Rebecca are coming to town in a few weeks!






Nonni: Grew up in Italy and Belgium, immigrating to America before she was twenty.  She's trilingual and the sweetest of grandmothers.  She's adept at making particularly sumptuous food, including but not limited to clam sauce, clam dip, tri-colored cookies, polenta, Cornish hen, baccala, and meatballs.  She taught me to sew and always used to read Sleeping Beauty to me before bed.  We argued over whether the dragon-lady's name is pronounced "Ma-le-fi-cent" or "Ma-le-fi-shent."  She won, years after the fact.


Nonno: Also grew up in Italy and came here at a young age.  He taught himself English, with a few twists.  His trademark words are "sangwich" and "scream door."  He makes his own wine and vinegar, employing the feet of Deels, Eric, and me to squish grapes for him.  He also likes talking about catching and eating snakes and squirrels.  His bark is worse than his bite, I swear.  


Rebecca: I keep trying to think of a more poetic or witty way to say it, but the fact is that she's my best friend of five years.  Despite the fact that she dislikes talking about emotions, I'm flattered by how much she cried when we said our goodbyes in August.  We've been through school plays and kickline and Nolan's English class and sparkly-hatted Christmases and proms and sweet sixteens and orchestra and Lifeteen retreats/Adorations and Harry Potter books/movies/musicals and Lifetime Sports taught by Coach Leverich and Graduation and traumatizing yearbook signings together.  Nothing changes.


Jacqui: Our friendship dates back to elementary school, taking the bus every day.  The bus holds a special place in our hearts, serving as a place to read, listen to Disney music, collapse after badminton, exchange horoscopes, interpret dreams, and learn each other's family heritage.  There was also that one time in fifth grade when she explained to me where babies come from.  (Editor's Note: A commercial for a band called KARMIN just came on.  I'd be thinking of you even if I wasn't writing about you.)


Andrea: Future crazy cat lady.  Most remembered for the epic video in which she told us she just wants to hug all the cats in the world.  The again, also remembered for talking about naked old men and Jacqui's boobs as normal parts of conversation.  She shares my affinities for Harry Potter and the Very Potter Musical and generally makes me happy.


Meghan:  Really enjoys telling the story of how she remembers my mother being pregnant for my brother.  We met circa kindergarten and shared a few years as Daisies/Brownies/Girl Scouts together.  She's a singer in a band and there's never a dull moment when she's around.


Alissa:  We bonded in PIG last year, particularly over Esmerelda Goldenblatt and her lesbian lover running for President.  She just got back from spending a semester in Australia and will be joining us at Northeastern this semester!






"I'm learning about what led to the American Revolution, and so much happened in Boston!  It seems like Massachusetts is always getting into trouble." -Eric




Only thing to do is jump, only thing to do is jump over the moon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let the bashing of my personal musings begin!